Please note that we are experiencing high demand so might not respond as quickly as you're used to. We are currently responding to all repairs but are prioritising emergency repairs.

Thanks for your patience. Please bear with us.

Find out more here

EU Settlement Scheme – applying to stay in the UK

EU Settlement Scheme – applying to stay in the UK

EU citizens and their family members living in the UK need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme before 30 June 2021.   

The UK Government’s EU Settlement Scheme allows EU citizens to continue to study, work and live in the UK post-Brexit and will ensure that your rights are protected, and you can continue living in the country as we leave the EU.


Who needs to apply?

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status.

You may be able to stay in the UK without applying - for example, if you’re an Irish citizen or have indefinite leave to remain.



It’s free to apply for the scheme.


What documents do I need before I start my application?

Applying for the EU Settlement Scheme (settled and pre-settled status) is quite an easy process to complete; however, be prepared to provide some of your contact and personal details twice (email address, phone number).


1. Proof of your identity

Have your phone with you as Home Office will send you a text message with an access code to progress your application.  You need to have:

  • Passport or national identity card (you will be asked to provide the document number and document expiry date if applicable)

The Home Office will tell you immediately after you apply if you need to provide any documents. You’ll be able to submit photos or scans of your documents through the online application form.

When you apply, you can either:

  • use the ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’ app to scan your document and send your photo - you need to use an Android phone to do this.
  • send your document by post and upload your photo using the online application (you can take this yourself).


2. Proof of continuous residence

To be eligible for settled status, you usually need to have lived in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for at least 6 months in any 12-month period for 5 years in a row. You need to provide proof of this when you apply.

If you’ve not lived here for 5 years in a row, you may still be eligible for pre-settled status. You can give your National Insurance number to allow an automated check of your residence based on tax and certain benefit records.


3. Your photograph

As part of the online application, you will be asked to upload a recent digital photo of your face.

If this check is successful, you’ll not need to provide any documents as proof of residence. You’ll only need to provide documents if you have been here for 5 years in a row but there is not enough data to confirm this.

Read what documents you can provide to the Home Office if you’re asked to provide more evidence.


4. Criminal convictions

If you’re 18 or over, the Home Office will check you have not committed serious or repeated crimes, and that you don’t pose a security threat.

You’ll be asked about your criminal history in the UK and overseas. You’ll also be checked against the UK’s crime databases.

If you’ve only been convicted of a minor crime, for example, you’ve had a speeding fine, you’ll still be eligible for settled or pre-settled status.

You may still get settled or pre-settled status even if you have other convictions. This will be judged on a case-by-case basis.

If you’ve been to prison, you usually need 5 years’ continuous residence from the day you were released to be considered for settled status.


When can you apply?

The EU Settlement Scheme is open. You can apply for free now if you meet the criteria.  The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021.  Which status you get may depend on when you apply.

Applications are via the government website.

More information regarding the EU Settlement Scheme can be found on here.


Help and support

If you live in Merseyside, you can access advice and guidance from Migrant Help who can assist you with the application process, including:

  • What the EU Settlement Scheme is
  • Criteria that needs to be met
  • How to make an application
  • What documents are needed to apply
  • Types of status people may be eligible for
  • Completing application forms


Migrant Help have the following sessions:

  • Bootle Library, 220 Stanley Rd, Bootle L20 3EN: Monday 10am-1pm (book an appointment by calling: 01019 345 781)
  • St Helen’s Citizens Advice, Millennium Centre, Corporation St, St Helens, WA10 1HB: Monday afternoons and Thursday mornings (please book an appointment by calling: 01744 737866)
  • Granby Toxteth Development Trust, 129d Lodge Ln, Liverpool L8 0QF: Tuesdays and Thursdays 10am-4.30pm (appointment only)
  • Kensington Community Learning Centre, 291-299 Kensington, Liverpool L7 2RG: Wednesdays 10-3pm
  • Edge Hill Youth and Community Centre, 79 Durning Rd, Liverpool L7 5ND: Book an appointment by calling 0151 263 2921
  • Southport Library, 112 Lord St, Southport PR8 1DJ: Wednesdays 1.30-4.30pm (every 2 weeks)
  • The Florrie, 377 Mill Street, Liverpool, L8 4RF: Thursdays 3-6pm.
  • Mary Seacole House, 91 Upper Parliament St, Liverpool L8 7LB: Thursdays (please book an appointment by calling: 0151 707 0139)
  • Picton Children’s Centre, 137 Earle Rd, Liverpool L7 6HD: Fridays 2-5pm
  • The Big Issue, The Basement 56-60 Parr Street, Liverpool, L1 4JN: Fridays 8am-12noon

Migrant Help provide advice to EU citizens and their families about their rights after Brexit. Migrant Help have access to interpreters in all languages to provide guidance through this application.  You can also call the Free asylum helpline (open 24/7/365) 0808 8010 503.  Find out more on their website:

You can also contact Citizens Advice who should be able to help.

Posted in News on Feb 03, 2020