Torus (LMH) are proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week 2019 (16-22 September 2019) and will be aiming to raise public awareness of gas safety and highlight the dangers of unsafe or unserviced boilers, cookers and gas fires.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly with no warning, as you cannot see it, taste it or smell it.
Keeping our customers safe
As a landlord we are legally responsible for the safety of our tenants. Annually, by law, we must visit every Torus (LMH) property, whether you use your gas supply or not, to check heating systems, appliances and smoke detectors are safely installed and that any faults are fully repaired.
Barry Jones, Voids & Compliance Manager said, “We take the safety of its tenants and communities very seriously. We have a legal obligation to carry out an annual gas safety check on all our properties using our Gas Safe Registered engineers.”
“It is vital that all our customers allow prompt access to their homes, so that we can carry out these important and essential gas safety checks, to keep themselves, their families and neighbours safe.”
“Tenants who do not allow access to their homes to allow access to carry out the gas safety check is a breach of their tenancy agreement which can result in Torus being forced into taking legal action, where tenants could incur court costs in excess of £1,000 or even lose their home.”
If you need to book or rebook your annual gas safety check call us on 0800 678 1894.
Find out more about the gas service here.
Torus take a collaborative approach to complete the annual gas safety check in Torus domestic properties and this work is carried out by our trusted gas contractor HMS (Housing Maintenance Solutions) and access is supported by all Torus tenant facing teams.
Other ways you can stay safe…
- Check for warning signs your appliances aren’t working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
- Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
Not a Torus tenant?
We want all our communities to stay safe, so if you live in your own home or privately rent, you should have your gas appliances checked every year. For gas safety advice or to find and check an engineer visit the Gas Safe Register website at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk. Alternatively call the free helpline on 0800 408 5500.