We are proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week 2018. This annual event helps raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of looking after your appliances.
If an appliance has a fault or needs servicing, it can cause leaks, fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. This is a serious issue as carbon monoxide is invisible and has no taste or smell. It can kill quickly and without warning.
By looking after your appliances and ensuring our staff have access to check your appliances you will keep yourself, your loved ones and your home safe.
If you are an LMH tenant, you will need to allow our staff access to your home to check your appliances every year. However, if you have any concerns, you can book one of our gas engineers by calling our Customer Call Centre on the number below.
You can check for warning signs that your appliances aren’t working correctly, such as lazy yellow /orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance, a pilot light that keeps going out and too much condensation in the room.
Never attempt to fix a gas appliance yourself. Please arrange for one of our gas safe engineers to carry out any repairs.
Know the six main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
Have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home. LMH can request a gas engineer to fit one of these for you, simply contact us to arrange.
- All our Gas Engineers carry ID which shows the Gas Safe logo. If in doubt, contact our call centre. No ID? No access.
LMH Customer Call Centre: 0800 678 1894
For further gas safety advice visit GasSafeRegister.co.uk.