Torus has pledged its support for Gas Safety Week (13 – 19 September 2021) and will be aiming to raise public awareness of gas safety, highlight the dangers of unsafe or unserviced boilers and gas appliances and encourage customers to allow access into their homes for their annual gas safety check.
As we celebrate the 11th year of Gas Safety Week, organisations from across the UK are working together to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances, which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
This year, Gas Safety Week is addressing a whole range of gas safety matters for gas users across the country - from advice about how to stay gas safe, to raising awareness of using a registered engineer who is legally qualified, to ensure consumers don’t suffer from the effects of illegal gas work through lack of awareness.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly with no warning, as you cannot see it, taste it or smell it.
As a landlord we are legally responsible for the safety of our tenants. Annually, by law, we must visit every Torus property, whether you use your gas supply or not, to check heating systems, appliances and smoke detectors are safely installed and that any faults are fully repaired.
Barrie Frodsham, Torus Compliance Manager said:
“We take the safety of ours tenants and communities very seriously. We have a legal obligation to carry out an annual gas safety check on all our properties using our Gas Safe Registered engineers.
“It is vital that all our customers allow prompt access to their homes, so that we can carry out these Legal and important essential gas safety checks, to keep tenants, their families and neighbours safe.
“We just want our customers and communities to be safe and tenants who do not allow access to their home to carry out the gas safety check are in breach of their tenancy agreement which can result in Torus being forced into taking legal action, where tenants could incur court costs in excess of £1,000 ,or even lose their home.
“Those tenants who repeatedly fail to allow access on an annual basis for this mandatory gas safety check and service will be pursued accordingly for noncompliance of their tenancy agreement.
“Over the past 12 months, Torus have submitted 53 cases to court for tenants failing to allow access, 31 cases were all awarded injunctions, 22 cases did not reach court as they tenant allowed access before the court date. The tenants in these cases were charged £33,912.00 in court costs.
“Even during the pandemic, the courts have understood the importance of gas safety in properties for not only the tenants but other residents and therefore have not accepted the pandemic as an excuse for no access and in each case, we have been awarded injunctions and costs.
“The annual gas safety check is a free service Torus provides to all its tenants, and the additional costs to Torus of having to repeatedly chase tenants to allow access is unacceptable.
“By allowing first time access tenants will reduce the risk to themselves , family , friends and neighbours. They will also be entered a free quarterly prize draw worth £ 100 of Love to shop vouchers, and any savings that are made by allowing prompt access will be used to reinvest in our properties and communities.”
Torus take a collaborative approach to complete the annual gas safety check in Torus domestic properties and this work is carried out by our trusted gas contract partner HMS and access is supported by all Torus tenant facing teams.
Jonathan Samuel, chief executive for Gas Safe Register, said:
“It’s great to see so many people supporting Gas Safety Week this year to help share important and, in some cases, lifesaving advice about gas safety. The last year or so has taught us the vital importance of helping and supporting those in our communities. Ensuring people always use a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer to work on gas appliances in their homes is a great way to show how we can work together to stay gas safe.’’
Your gas safety check appointment
Remember, carbon monoxide kills. If you can let us in, please do. However, if you have any concerns, wish to change your gas appointment or have any questions please call 0800 678 1894 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Find out more about gas servicing here.
To keep you and your family safe, follow Gas Safe Register’s top tips:
- If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, call the free 24-hour national gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999. Know the symptoms of CO poisoning; headaches, nausea, breathlessness, collapse, dizziness and loss of consciousness.
- Have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
- Never attempt to work on a gas appliance yourself, always seek the help of a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer who can work on your gas cooker, boiler or fire in a safe way.
- Check for warning signs your appliances aren’t working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
- Don’t cut corners - only employ a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer when having gas work carried out in your home.
- Always ask to see your engineer’s Gas Safe ID card. Make sure you check the back of the card, which will state which gas appliances they are qualified to work on.
- Gas Safe Register is the official register for legally qualified engineers. You can find a registered engineer in your area by visiting the Gas Safe Register website at GasSafeRegister.co.uk.
Keep up to date with Gas Safe Register’s updates and advice throughout Gas Safety Week by following @GasSafeRegister on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and search #GSW21 and #GasSafetyWeek.