Keep updated on services here.

Find out more


Please be aware that we are currently experiencing a high volume of calls. Thank you for your patience.

Rent and money worries help and support

Updated: October 2021

We’re here – help and support from Torus

We know it continues to be uncertain and worrying times for many of our customers, but we want you to know that we are here to help and always encourage customers to tell us straight away if they are experiencing problems paying their rent and there is a range of help available.  

We can agree affordable repayment plans and provide specialist advice on claiming benefits, maximising income and managing debt through our Rents, Benefits and Tenancy Sustainment teams.

Rent payments & evictions

You need to continue to pay your rent in full where possible. Paying as much as you can is better than paying nothing at all. We would encourage you to continue to do this to reduce your arrears and to avoid any action in the future which could put your home at risk.

We realise you may need help from benefits to do this. You may need to make a claim for Universal Credit or other benefits to help you pay your rent for the period you are not able to work. If you contact us, we will be able to provide advice on this.

In response to the January 2021 lockdown, the Government has extended protection for renters, including those living in social housing who are affected by Covid-19, and bailiffs did not enforce evictions until after 22 February 2021.  However, this did not include evictions due to anti-social behaviour, illegal occupation, death of a tenant where the property is unoccupied, fraud, perpetrators of domestic abuse in social housing and extreme rent arrears equivalent to six months’ rent.

We are still able to make a claim to a court for eviction for rent arrears. This is the very last resort and we ask that you please contact us if you are unable to pay as we are here to help.

If you are worried about falling into arrears because you cannot pay us, it is important that you speak to us as soon as possible. Failing to engage with us or make every effort to maintain some form of payment could result in legal action being taken to recover the arrears which could put your home at risk.

You need to continue to pay your rent in full where possible. Paying as much as you can is better than paying nothing at all. We would encourage you to continue to do this to reduce your arrears and to avoid any action in the future which could put your home at risk. 

Contact us for help

If you are experiencing financial pressures and are struggling to pay your rent, please get in touch as soon as possible, as it's better to let us know now. That way we can work with you to reach a solution.

  • Call free on 0800 678 1894 and ask to speak to our Rents Team.

What to do next?

If you need support to claim benefits.

You can receive up to a month’s advance upfront without physically attending a Jobcentre. The seven waiting days for ESA for new claimants suffering from Coronavirus or required to stay at home will not apply, so it will be payable from day one.

For more information, including making a claim for a Discretionary Housing Payment, a Council Tax Reduction or Housing Benefit, visit Liverpool City Council’ Council Tax and Benefits website page..

We can also support you whilst you make your claim for Universal Credit so please contact us on 0800 678 1894 or email to speak to our dedicated support teams.

If you are struggling to get through to us, other support to make a claim for Universal Credit is available from:

Additional help and support

We are regularly updating our website and social media feeds with information regarding our services and links to support for money-related matters. Keep updated on our dedicated coronavirus page.

Torus Tenancy Sustainment Team

Tenants can struggle to sustain their tenancy for many reasons. Torus have dedicated Tenancy Sustainment Teams in each heartland to offer you support to get back on track. They can also offer support with food vouchers, grant applications and much more.  

 Call free on 0800 678 1894 and ask to speak to the Duty Tenancy Sustainment Officer for your area or email the team direct at

RAISE Money Advice Services

Torus work in partnership with RAISE, who can help you with advice about your benefits, debt and help you make the most of your money. If you would like a referral to RAISE call free on 0800 678 1894 and ask to speak to a member of the Rents Outbound Call Team. You can also visit the RAISE website.

Torus Foundation

Our charitable arm offers one to one support to find you work and training, can help you use the internet to job search and claim online and be confident using a computer and the internet, gives support to claim benefits including Universal Credit, debt advice, help with food vouchers, advice on energy bills, managing your budget and to access affordable loans.  Call free on 0300 123 5809 or email, they are here to help you, find out more on their website.

Universal credit:

Want to know more about Universal Credit? Visit the understanding Universal Credit website.

Visit our Universal Credit page for regular updates from the DWP and to keep updated with how the Coronavirus is impacting Universal Credit.

How could Universal Credit help you?

No matter what your circumstances, Universal Credit helps make sure you’re getting all the financial support you’re entitled to in one place, and all the help that’s right for you, whether you are:

  • in work
  • wanting to increase your earnings
  • looking for a job
  • unable to work at the moment

It can include financial support for the cost of housing, children and childcare, so if you are eligible, the amount you receive will be customised to your unique personal circumstances.

Find out more about the Universal Credit support available:

Council tax support:

If your income has reduced, you may be eligible for support in paying your council tax.

If you are already claiming but your income has changed, you will need let your council know there has been a change of circumstances so they can re-assess your claim. Visit Liverpool City Council’s Council Tax page.

Council updates:

Keep updated on the Liverpool City Council’ dedicated page.

Energy Bills

Some of you may be worrying about how you are going to pay your utility bills, and for those on pre-payment meters, how you’re going to keep them topped up.

Ofgem, the regulatory authority for gas and electric have published the following advice on what to do if you are faced with affordability issues.

The government has launched an emergency package with energy suppliers to ensure you don’t face any additional hardships in heating or lighting your home during the coronavirus outbreak. If you are struggling with money problems or are repaying a debt, options will include:

  • reviewing bill payment plans, including debt repayment plans
  • payment breaks or reductions in how much you pay
  • giving you greater time to pay
  • in some cases, access to hardship funds.
  • No credit meters will be disconnected during the outbreak.

If you think you can’t afford to pay for any extra gas or electricity used because you’re having to self-isolate at home, support will be available through your energy supplier.

Your supplier must take into account how much you can afford and will explain your options.

For further general advice on household energy bill support, see Ofgem’s guide: Who to contact if it’s difficult paying bills.

For more information from Ofgem, you can visit their website.

Warm Home Discount

If you get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit or are on a low income, you could be eligible for up to £140 off your electricity bill for winter under the Warm Home Discount Scheme.

The Warm Home Discount scheme opens each October.

The money is not paid to you - it’s a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between October and March.

You may be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity. Contact your supplier to find out.

To find out more information including how to apply, visit:

You can also call the WHD Helpline 0800 731 0214.

Support from Torus

If any of our Torus tenants would like support applying for the Warm Home Discount, call us on 0300 123 5809 and ask to speak to one of our Torus Foundation Financial Inclusion colleagues.

More help with energy bills:

Find out more about Grants and benefits to help you pay your energy bills on the Citizens Advice website – with information on Winter Fuel Payment and Cold Weather Payments.

Water Bills:

If you are struggling to pay your water bill, United Utilities have also launched a new Pay-As-U-Go service to give your more flexibility in paying your water bill. Find out more on the website or call them on 0800 072 6765.

Warm and Safe Homes (WASH) – FREE Advice to keep warm and safe in your home:

WASH is a free support service providing advice to vulnerable householders living in England on their energy bills and keeping warm and safe in their home as well as information for frontline workers on current advice agency and fuel supplier support for customers in relation to Covid-19. They offer:

  • Telephone/online support for householders and case workers
  • Supported e-learning for frontline staff We can help you with
  • Warm Home Discount and Priority Service Register information
  • Support with gas and electricity accounts including fuel debt
  • Switching suppliers Energy efficiency
  • Trust fund applications
  • Water rates
  • Benefits advice and income maximisation

For more information please visit You can also email or call 0800 304 7159.

From - National Energy Action (NEA), the leading fuel poverty and energy efficiency charity.

Free TV licence fees for over-75s from 1 August 2020:

Free TV Licences, funded by the Government, for all over 75s ended in July 2020.

From 1 August 2020 anyone aged 75 or over receiving Pension Credit will be eligible to apply for a free TV Licence, paid for by the BBC. Pension Credit can be in the name of the licence holder, or in their partner’s name if they are a couple living at the same address.

Click here to find out more about the changes and how you could claim Pension Credit to still be able to claim a free TV licence, amongst other benefits.

Smartphone: Tesco Mobile Reconnect

Tesco are running a scheme called Reconnect until 2023, aimed at vulnerable and disadvantaged people to help them stay connected.

Between now and 2023, will see Tesco Mobile commit to giving over £2.4 million worth of phones, devices and connectivity to help vulnerable and disadvantaged people reconnect with society.

A phone is supplied to the customer with three months credit.

If you or someone you know needs a device or connectivity, then email a request to - find out more:

If you need to apply contact Torus Foundation on 0300 123 5809 or email