Universal Credit

The Universal Credit Full Digital Service

The Government has been gradually introducing the new Universal Credit (UC) welfare benefit, which replaces several existing benefits including Housing Benefit. UC will affect people who are both in and out of work, and of working age.

Although you may not be claiming benefits at the moment, you or a member of your household may have a change in circumstances.

Our customers receiving welfare benefit may have already seen changes taking place as Universal Credit (UC) has been rolled out to all JCPs  in the Liverpool City Region. If you’re struggling to make an online claim, contact the UC Helpline on 0800 328 5644 available Monday – Friday, 8am – 6pm.

How will I know if I am affected?

You will only be affected if you have a change in circumstances or need to make a new benefits claim. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will advise you of this. If you currently claim UC, the DWP will write to you at a later date and you will have to make a new claim online.

How do I make a claim?

UC claims need to be made online via www.gov.uk/universal-credit which can be completed via Job Centre Plus or at home, using a PC, tablet or smartphone. You can get on line at a local Digital Hub which are run by ComMutual, our charitable arm.

To make a claim, you will need:

  • An email address
  • A bank, building society or credit union account
  • You will need to know your weekly rent charge (including service charges if applicable)
  • Your income details and for those living with you (including benefits)
  • Your National Insurance (NI) number and the NI for each family member who are part of the claim

What happens once you’ve made the claim?

  • You will receive a Job Centre appointment to verify your claim - remember to take photo ID (a passport or driving licence), your tenancy agreement and an up to date rent statement.
  • Go online to make an appointment with your Work Coach to agree and sign your ‘Claimant Commitment’. Remember to keep your search for work and journal up to date and regularly check your online ‘to do list’ to see if the DWP has sent you actions regarding your claim.
  • Failing to comply with these UC requirements may affect payments towards your housing costs.
  • If you do not pay your rent to us it could result in action being taken to recover the tenancy.

Is there any financial help while waiting for my claim?

  • You can apply for an advance payment during your interview with the work coach. This advance payment is interest free and you will have 12 months to pay this back, but please note that your UC payments will be reduced during that time to cover the repayments of the advance payment. 
  • If you have any concerns about your rent during this time, please speak to your Rent Officer.

Support Available

Our charitable arm, ComMutual can offer you advice on making an online claim by assisting with:

  • Free IT training and access to the Internet, including setting up an email address
  • Advice on setting up a bank, building society or credit union account
  • Employment training and support
  • Signpost to services for budgeting, debt, energy & utility debt and benefit advice
  • Food bank vouchers
  • Sign up to Twitter and follow @lmhinfo and @ComMutualInfo to keep up to date with information and sessions available.


Universal Credit Payments

The Monthly Assessment Period will commence from the date the claim is made*.

*Based on advice from the Government

Remember to pay your rent as soon as your first UC payment is received.

Talk to us today

If you’re having difficulty, don’t struggle alone. Contact our Welfare Reform Team via 0800 678 1894.