January 2022

Please be aware that we are currently experiencing a high volume of calls as well as delays on some services due to COVID-19 and our new IT system,
but we’re here for you. Apologies for any inconvenience. Keep updated on our services here.

Find out more

Living Independently

Living Independently

We want our tenants to live independently in their homes for as long as possible. Some tenants might be finding it difficult to manage their homes for a number of different reasons. If you feel that you are struggling to get by and need additional support please call us on 0800 678 1894.

Minor adaptations

We want our tenants to live independently and safely in their homes for as long as possible. If you or someone in your home has an illness or a disability, you might find it more difficult to manage safely and could benefit from extra help or adaptations.

Some adaptations can be requested without an assessment by an Occupational Therapist (OT) and are called minor adaptations. Examples of these are:

  • Key safes
  • Grab rails
  • Shower seats
  • Bannister rails
  • Lever taps
  • Security lights

To request these:

If you live in St Helens area you should contact St Helens Council on 01744 676767 to request these.

If you live in Liverpool or Warrington areas you should contact Torus directly on 0800 678 1894.

Major adaptations

For major adaptations we will not process these as a request and you will need to be assessed by an OT. These adaptations are for people who have difficulty accessing bathing facilities, managing stairs, or accessing other areas in their home – for example kitchens, or front / rear doors with steps. Examples of major adaptations are:

  • Wet rooms
  • Stair lifts
  • Door widening
  • Ramps
  • Ceiling track hoists
  • Through floor lifts
  • Extensions

To request these:

If you live in St Helens area you should contact St Helens Council on 01744 676767 to discuss the difficulties you’re having and a referral for assessment will be made.

If you live in Warrington heartland you should contact Warrington Borough Council on 01925 444239.

If you live in Liverpool you should contact Careline on 0151 2333800 (for adults) and 0151 2333700 (for children).

After assessment if recommendations are made for changes to your home, a report will be sent to Torus and an assessment will be completed to determine whether the work will be approved. Factors which will be considered will include whether your home can be altered, if another property would be more suitable.

Personal Home Assistance Alarms

We can offer our more vulnerable tenants a personal home assistance alarms.

The alarm is worn on your person, so you can call for help in an emergency at any time, day or night. It connects to and uses your own telephone to ensure someone responds in an emergency.

This gives you and your family reassurance that help is there for you if need it.

The alarms cost £25 for installation and then £1.49 a week.

For more details take a look at our Personal Home Assistance Alarm (Previously Community Safety Alarms)  leaflet below or call us on 0800 678 1894.